Author Norm Stockton is both a working bassist--from 2006 through 2012 he toured with former Steve Perry [ex-Journey singer] guitarist Lincoln Brewster and currently works with former Toto singer Bobby Kimball--and an educator. The combination produces a book full of real-world information presented in an easy-to-read and understand layout.
"As opposed to a comprehensive methodology for all things bass, this will be more of a collection of the nuggets - many of which were acquired through lessons learned the hard way - that I've found valuable for my own development as a bass player."
As such, the author brings into focus a number of subjects, including:
- The bass player's raison d'etre (why do you want to play?)
- Fingerboard Familiarity (notes on the neck)
- Chart Fundamentals (reading what you're playing)
- Tips for the Woodshed (how to practice)
and much more. There is a DVD-ROM included with various audio and video clips, which support the musical examples and exercises illustrated on the pages. Some of the content is excerpted from Stockton's own
Grooving For Heaven DVD, his personal instructional series.
If you're interested in learning the ins and outs of plucking on a 4-string
- or five-string nowadays - in the field of worship music, you need to pick up this book.