The story opens with an art show, and a strange coincidence of time. The Life of Your Time follows sixth-grader Percival Weckbaugh of Central City, Missouri, at school and home as he struggles with questions about being and the meaning of life.
This short novel abounds with well developed and often quirky characters like
Suddenly things start to happen that no one can explain; telephone numbers are disconnected for no apparent reason, and a computer program solves an insoluble problem.
- Percivalís dad, George, a computer programs analyst who has to re-think his understanding of technology.
- His mother Ann, once a professional singer who has forgotten the words to her favorite song.
- University dropout Rick, struggling to make meaning of his life.
- An eccentric professor who believes the universe is organizing itself.
- Terry McKinzie, who is saved by chance from destroying his marriage and career.
Through all their escapades, Chaos and Blind Chance are determined to undermine consistency, not to mention the antics of mischievous random number 1314.
But what links all these characters? Pure coincidence of random events, or is there something deeper involved?
The chapters are interspersed with humorous dialogues between the writer and the narrator, which add to the fascination and depth of the story. Steven J. Byers has created an excellent book that will capture children and adults alike, a story full of twists, turns and satire that will leave the reader pondering life and its meaning.